— travel inspiration for small budgets and big dreams —

travel inspiration for small budgets and big dreams

The information stated here is based on the DFA website and is accurate to the best of the writer’s knowledge. However, according to personnel from DFA Cebu, the DFA website is not updated regularly. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to personally get a list of requirements from their nearest DFA office, as there may be changes in the requirements that are not reflected right away in the DFA website and in this page. You may also call DFA for verification of information. (Contact details and overview of the application process can be found here: Passport Application/Renewal at DFA Cebu: What You Need To Know.)



These are the requirements for first-time passport applicants (updated March 2017):

  1. Personal appearance – even if you go through a travel agency, you will still need to go to DFA to submit your documents and have your picture taken
  2. Confirmed appointment – the only people who don’t need an appointment to get a passport are: (1) senior citizens, (2) minors below 1 year old, and (3) OFWs who present a valid employment contract, OEC, or other sufficient proof that they are OFWs (Source)
  3. NSO birth certificate – note that this is required for first time applicants only
    • For those renewing their passports, a birth certificate is only required if: (1) your old passport is the brown passport issued prior to 1995, the green passport issued after 1995, or the machine readable passport issued on 2007; or (2) you’re a married female who would like to revert back to your maiden name; or possibly if (3) you’re a minor (Source)
  4. At least 1 valid picture ID – such as a driver’s license or PRC ID
    • For a complete list of acceptable IDs, please click here.
  5. At least 2 supporting documents – such as a voter’s ID, NSO marriage contract, and cedula or community tax certificate (Source)
    • For a complete list of supporting documents, please click here.
  6. Application form – can be obtained from the guard or downloaded online HERE

The following applicants need to submit additional requirements:

  • Minors (below 18 years old) — see this page for passport requirements, as well as the documents required by the Bureau of Immigration when traveling with children; you can also see the DFA website for more information
  • Married women — marriage contract issued by the NSO
  • Late registered Muslims — Certificate of Tribal Affiliation from the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF)
  • DOST scholars — certification or clearance from DOST
  • For the following applicants, please see the DFA website for the complete list of additional requirements:
    • Applicants with no birth record
    • Spouses of foreign nationals
    • Applicants who availed of Dual Citizenship or Election of Philippine Citizenship under RA 9225
    • Converts who would like to use their Muslim name

Bisaya/Cebuano version


dfa cebu online passport application appointment


For an overview of the passport application process, see:
Passport Application/Renewal at DFA Cebu: What You Need To Know


avoid offloading



Immigration officer tips


Again, for your convenience, here are the articles that you might find useful:

Passport Application/Renewal at DFA Cebu: What You Need To Know 

Getting A Philippine Passport at DFA Cebu: List of Requirements for First Time Applicants 

Renewing A Philippine Passport at DFA Cebu: List of Requirements 

Getting A Philippine Passport: List of Acceptable IDs and Supporting Documents 

Good luck! 🙂

32 Responses

  1. Hello! I gave one clarification here, i was told na for the NSO certificate dapat attach ang receipt japun, how true is this? Pls reply .. Thank you

    1. Hi Cathrine! Wala ra man gi-specify sa DFA, so dili ra siguro. In their list of acceptable supporting documents, ila man gi-specify that newly acquired VRRs must have the receipt attached, so if they required the same thing for the NSO birth cert, ila pod unta i-specify. But if you want to be sure, you can call them na lang para mag-gikan jud nila. 🙂 Sorry I can’t give you a more definite reply.

      1. Hello! Thanks for the reply though .. What about the update rush for passpory processing? Any news?

  2. Hi! Just want to ask if dfa will honor an expired PRC I’d as valid one? I have not renewed my PRC I. D. since I am not yet practicing my profession. Thanks!

  3. hi. i just wanna ask if there will be no problem with my nso.
    i was registered late since my parents already have me before marriage.
    but my nso already have a note on the side about my complete name.

    1. Hi Jamy, I think that will be fine. According to DFA, “If minor is legitimated by subsequent marriage of parents: Authenticated Birth Certificate from NSO must include annotation regarding new status as legitimated and the full name of the child.” — Since yours already has the note, that should be okay. Good luck! 🙂

  4. Hello!

    I just wanted to ask if they now accept TIN ID? And is it really necessary nga Travel Abroad ang naka butang sa Police and Brgy Clearance or is it okay if Local Employment ra ang nakabutang? Thank you!

    1. Hi Katherine,

      They accept the “digitized BIR ID” daw, according to the DFA. –

      I believe okay ra if dili for travel abroad ang nakabutang sa mga police and brgy clearance — they’re really just being used as documents to support your identity — but I’m afraid I’m not sure about that, I would advise you to call the DFA office para sigurado. Sorry I can’t give you a more definite answer!

      Good luck. 🙂

  5. Hi! Why do we need 3 supporting documents? Sa manila lage id ug nso and photocopies lang ang needed… unsaon nako, 20 years old pa ko, and school yearbook ra ang at my reach right now. :<

    1. Hi Rix,

      I’m afraid you’ll have to direct the question of “why” to the DFA, but as far as I know, you need an NSO-issued birth cert, 1 valid ID, and 3 supporting documents even in Manila, as per the DFA website. —

      Also, in addition to your school yearbook, there are other supporting documents that are easily within your reach, even if you are only 20 years old. Examples:
      – Barangay clearance
      – Community tax certificate (Cedula)
      – Elementary/High school Form 137 or TOR
      – NBI clearance
      – Police clearance
      – SSS-E1 Form
      – Voter’s Certification, List of Voters and Voter’s Registration Record
      – Voter’s ID

  6. I just wanna ask. Widow nako and I wanna get a passport,unsay akung dapat gamiton nga apelyedo? Hapon akung Bana but 10 months lng no kasal he died last year. But never nako nagamit iya apelyedo in any transaction I make. Or single gihapon ako gamit even sa work place. Unsa dapat nako dad on nga apelyedo? I’m planning to go to US

    1. Hi Cindy,
      Actually, even if your husband is still alive, you have the choice to use either his surname or your maiden surname in your passport. Ang rule ra jud is if imo na’ng gi-change to your married surname, di na nimo pwede i-change balik to your maiden surname (unless annulled, etc.). In your case, since wala man sad jud nimo nagamit ang apelyido sa imong bana, okay ra jud imo rang maiden surname imong gamiton.

  7. Hi, Ma’am. magpa renew unta ko sa akong passport sa Cebu. Ok lang ba ang NSO Birth Certificate nga colored copy? Dapat ba gyud mag pa appoint pa thru the appointment system? Pila man ang mahurot nig pa renew? salamat

    1. Hi Ronald,

      > Tan-awon jud nila ang original birth certificate nga gi-issue sa NSO, dili pwede colored nga photocopy lang (kung mao na imong gipasabot). Pero kinahanglan sad nimo ipa-photocopy ang imong NSO kay mao na ilang kuhaon.

      > Wala’y appointment system sa Cebu.

      > Mahurot nga unsa?

  8. Ok lang ba ang postal id kay wala man koy any government issue na id ang akoa lang na id kay postal og voters id
    Asa man ta dapit manakayan from pier 1 paingun sa dfa kay taga bohol man gud ko unya first time naku muanha og cebu thanks…..

  9. hi! i need to clarify the needed requirements unta sa dfa.. i’ve been contacting them since last week pero kung dili mag cge rag ring ila hotline…usahay di na jud ma contact.. i need to ask them unta sa mga reqirements jud na kinahanglan nla kai gkan pa ko negros.. not familiar xd ko sa places dri cebu if ever naa kinahanglanon pa na requirements. unya ug naa lacking documents, ganahan xd unta ko makabalo before ko mu uli ug negros.. pls help for those who already know the required documents for first time applicant for passport… pls… 🙁

    1. Hi AC. You said “not familiar xd ko sa places dri cebu” — meaning naa ka sa Cebu karon? Adtoa na lang ang DFA office sa Pacific Mall kung naa ka’y kailangan i-clarify and wala ju’y motubag sa ilang phone. Basta mao ni akong nahibaw-an na documents, kaning naa ani nga article. Kanang link sa application form, sa luyo sa application form naa sa’y lista sa requirements. Kung ganahan ka nga maggikan gyud sa DFA, as in sila jud ang mosulti nimo unsa ang requirements, duha ra imong choices: either manawag ka until motubag sila or adtoon jud nimo sa Pacific Mall.

  10. Hi everyone!

    Comments are closed as I am currently very busy with work. Please review the article and read through the other comments to look for situations similar to yours. If you feel that you really MUST ask my advice, such that you are willing to pay for my time, please send the details of your situation to — you will then receive a confirmatory email outlining the procedure for travel consultation together with my PayPal and BPI account details. 😀 Please note that this also applies even if you post your question on another article or in Facebook. 😀

    I wish there were more hours in the day so I have enough time for all the things that are important to me: family, work, this blog, etc. But since that’s not possible, this is the best I can do. 🙂 Have a wonderful day!